The Academic Course
Pursue Your Intellectual Interests
An academic course is an integral part of your learning experience at The Washington Center. You’ll be able to choose one from approximately 30 courses typically offered each semester or summer term.
All courses meet for three hours one night a week but are otherwise like courses taught on your campus. In many cases, they have a direct relationship to the work you're doing throughout the week and range from politics and business to international affairs and communications.
The courses are led by highly qualified faculty who are dedicated teachers. They are grounded in traditional disciplines yet taught within the context of the wide array of resources offered in Washington, D.C.
Sample List of Academic Courses
American Politics and Public Policy
- Campaigning for a Cause: How Advocacy Groups Change the World
- Government and Business in the New Economic and Political Reality
Business, Management and Public Administration
- Global Markets and International Business Strategies
- From Ideas to Action: The Anatomy of Entrepreneurship
- Media and the Movies
- Mass Media and American Politics
International Affairs and Foreign Policy
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- International Human Rights
- How Washington Engages the Arab Middle East
Law and Criminal Justice
- Philosophy of Law, the Supreme Court and the U.S. Constitutional Tradition
- Forensic Psychology
- Introduction to Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure
- Essentials for Aspiring Leaders
- Nonprofit Leadership and Management
- Research and Writing Seminar
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
Washington, D.C.-based Courses
- Scandalous Washington: Uncovering D.C. History
A course guide (including descriptions and faculty biographies) for your specific term in Washington will be made available approximately 4 to 6 weeks prior to your arrival. You’ll have an opportunity to select your top five course options and be placed into one (in most cases your first or second choice). Add/drop requests are then accepted via email.