How to Apply
How to Apply
1. Fill out the online application
2. Submit supplemental items
You will be required to submit supplemental documents as PDF files directly through the online application. These include:
- An unofficial copy of your transcript (all schools attended)
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – Transcript
- A copy of your certification of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport, birth certificate or naturalization papers accepted)
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – Citizenship
- Your GRE/GMAT scores (Graduate Fellowship Applicants only)
If you are applying for MBA programs, you may submit your GMAT scores. Otherwise (even if your intended graduate programs do not require them), you must submit GRE scores as a part of your Graduate Fellowship Application.
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – Scores
- Your personal statement
Please review the twelve dimensions of a Foreign Service IT Specialist and enter a personal statement explaining why you want to pursue a career in the Foreign Service. Highlight your motivations, as well as your background, experiences and skills that will help you succeed. The personal statement must not exceed 750 words.
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – Personal Statement
- Your updated resume
Your resume should be no more than two pages long. It should include relevant work, volunteer, internship and/or community activities.
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – Resume
- Your most recent financial aid award letter listing grants or loans
If you were enrolled in school during the most recent academic year and you received financial aid, you are required to submit a Financial Aid Letter.
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – FA Letter
- Your most recent Student Aid Report (SAR)
If you received financial aid during your most recent academic year, you are required to submit your most recent SAR form. If you did not receive financial aid during the most recent academic year, you must complete the FAFSA to generate a SAR.
The .PDF file should be labeled Lastname, Firstname – SAR
- Statement of Financial Need
Prepare a short statement explaining your need for financial assistance, including assistance you received during your undergraduate studies, your overall education-related debt, and your ability/plans to pay for graduate school and/or your junior and senior years of undergraduate (depending on whether you are applying for the Graduate or Undergraduate Fellowship).
This statement must not exceed 400 words.
3. Provide letters of recommendation
- Request letters from two recommenders. Select recommenders who can explain why you are uniquely qualified for the fellowship. If you were enrolled in a degree-granting program within the last two years, one letter must be from a professor or faculty member who knows you. The other letter may be from someone else familiar with your college, volunteer, work, or community activities.
- Add your two recommenders in the online application. Under the "Letter of Recommendation" tab, scroll to the bottom and click on the "Add Reference" button. You will be asked to enter your recommender's e-mail address.
- Once you click the “Submit Request” button, your recommenders will receive an email from The Washington Center, requesting that they submit an online recommendation on your behalf. Recommenders will be taken to an online form where they will enter some information before uploading and submitting their recommendation letter.
- You will automatically receive a notification email when your recommender completes your recommendation. If you do not receive a notification email in a timely fashion, please follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they still intend to complete your recommendation by the application deadline.
Letters of recommendation received after the deadline will not be accepted. Applications that do not contain both letters of recommendation are incomplete and will not be considered. No more than two (2) letters of recommendation will be allowed.
- IT Fellowship application inquiries may be directed to foreignserviceIT@twc.edu.
- It is strongly recommended that all components be submitted well before the application deadline to ensure the documents have been received.
- If all components are not received by the appropriate deadline, the application will be incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.