The Director for New Affiliates drives the The Washington Center’s (TWC) outreach to domestic colleges and universities to develop new partnerships and enrollments for the Academic Internship Programs (AIP) and Academic Seminars, with a percentage of time devoted to re-engaging existent but dormant partners. Through strategy development, direct administrator and faculty outreach and collaboration with various TWC departments, s/he is key to fulfilling the organization’s mission and forging opportunities for college and university students around the country to have a transformational D.C. experience. S/he leverages technology, including TWC’s CRM and other tools, to track, measure and evaluate efforts. This position requires travel up to 40% and periodic evening and weekend work and events.
New Affiliate Business Development
- Identify and recruit new affiliates, evaluate prospective affiliates, and make recommendations regarding affiliation.
- Assess, expand and/or revise, as necessary, existing strategies and processes for identifying and engaging prospective partners.
- Develop engagement strategy, coordinate training and integration, and develop a success plan for New Affiliates.
- Lead the New Affiliate working group to ensure that recent affiliates develop a strong partnership with TWC.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications in the development of marketing materials for prospective partners and recent affiliates.
- Continue development of new affiliation toolkit, trainings and communication strategy.
- Work with Office of the President and Chief Academic Officer to facilitate presence at conferences and meetings with current and new partners; organize new affiliate events as needed.
- Produce briefing material and fact sheets on new college and university targets to facilitate cultivation visits and recruitment.
- Develop systems and processes to ensure data regarding outreach/development is up to date and key communication is tracked. Leverage technology, including TWC’s mass email platform, CRM, web CMS and other tools to track and measure efforts.
- Meet or exceed set enrollment goal for new or recent affiliates each fiscal year.
- Attend local and national conferences on higher education, workforce development, experiential education, and related areas.
Dormant Affiliate Re-Engagement
- Assess existing partners identified as “dormant” by current affiliate team and develop strategies for re-engagement.
- Re-assess academic credit and financial arrangements with those institutions, signing new Affiliation Agreements, as necessary.
- Facilitate hand-off to Manager, College and University Relations once affiliate demonstrates interest in re-engagement and student enrollment.
Ocur Team Operations
- Attend internal, cross-functional, and cross-departmental meetings necessary for the smooth operation of college and university processes
- Participate in projects for which colleagues serve as Team Lead, such as execution and promotion of TWC annual events, mass communication to schools, and Academic Seminars marketing and enrollment strategy
- Work with Senior Director, College and University Relations to manage processes for overall function of five-person team
- Collaborate in development of team processes, prioritization of projects and activities, and communication with TWC departments.
Required Education and Experience
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Business development experience required.
Preferred Education/Qualifications and Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience working with colleges and universities or within a higher education setting strongly preferred.
- Participation in The Washington Center or similar internship program a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
That may not be reflected in the functions but are critical to the successful performance of the job are below. These may be representative but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with the position
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with external partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of responsiveness to partner correspondences.
- Ability to manage projects from inception to completion.
- Team-oriented approach to work, balanced with ability to work well independently.
- Ability to work efficiently towards deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of higher education industry, including current climate and emerging trends, preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office with strong knowledge of Excel and Word, as well as ability to use online databases such as Salesforce.com.
- Experience with mass email platforms (preferably ExactTarget) preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 40% and participate in periodic evening and weekend work and events.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Equipment Used to Perform the Job
Which may be representative but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Standard office equipment, including a photocopier, scanner and telephone system
- Personal computer, job-related software and printer
Commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made for individuals with disabilities to perform described essential functions of this job. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Travel is required, which may include making necessary travel arrangments, navigating airports and/or train stations, and driving rented vehicles.
To apply to this position, please do so via our online application form.
This job description no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subjected to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.