It's not 'goodbye,' it's 'see you later'

It's not 'goodbye,' it's 'see you later'


Today marks exactly a week since I’ve left DC.  I had this blog half-written before I left, got too busy packing my embarrassing amount of things, and then was only home for a day and a half before I took off to NYC, so my bad.  I apologize.

Anyway, my last few days in DC were, well, interesting to say the least.  As I’m sure everyone knows by now, the last weekend we were there happened to be the night Osama bin Laden was killed.  And DC went nuts.  The only thing I can really think to compare it to was maybe the Phillies winning the World Series a few years ago.  People in the RAF were running up and down the hallway yelling “USA, USA, we got him!” and celebrating like Christmas came early.  Christy, Lauren, our friend Kirsten and I were watching the news waiting for Obama’s speech when we just decided to go to the White House.  At this point the cab companies were backed up for hours, so I had the idea to run to the Greyhound station and get a cab from there and off we went.

The White House was the place to be that night.  Swarms of people, mostly college students, all coming together – it was nuts.  People climbing trees, lamp posts, each other; TV cameras everywhere, I even saw someone pop a bottle of champagne in the street.  We left around 1:30 a.m. and the party was still going strong.

Rage, rage!

We thought we were cool, but this was the best we could do

Christy, Lauren, Kirsten and myself.  I'm really going to miss you guys!

The day after that, on Monday, TWC held a Commencement exercise in the RAF that the entire program went to.  It officially called the program to a close, although the thing I was happiest about was finally getting rid of that portfolio that I’d been slaving over for the past few days.  Christy, Lauren, Kirsten and I celebrated by heading to the movie theatre in Chinatown to see Water for Elephants.

Christy and I at TWC Commencement

And so ends my junior year.  I don’t like to think of it that way, but its true.  I was home a lot earlier than most of my friends, some of whom are still off at school taking finals so I get to brag about the fact that I don’t have to do that until December and wait around until its warm enough to go to the beach.  I was one of the first of us to leave DC, which felt kind of weird, but it just worked out better for my Dad to get me that day.  I’m going to miss the RAF and the friends I made there, it was a good time while it lasted, but I’m definitely looking forward to being a real-life college student again.  After this semester I’ve pretty much decided I want to live in NYC, but chances are I’ll end up in DC for at least a year before I go to law school.  I wasn’t that sad to see Washington go (more sad just to say good-bye to the people I've met), mostly because I’ve pretty much come to terms that I’ll be back relatively soon.  So for now, goodbye, DC, I’m sure we’ll be meeting again soon.

Experience a Day in the Life of an Intern at The Washington Center

Learn More