Stuck in Virginia

Stuck in Virginia

5-6 p.m. - Most people are arriving back home. We're all exhausted. Yet, we cannot let ourselves by weakened by our sleep deprived bodies. We need to live. We need to experience the city. After all, we have only another 7-8 weeks left. That's why we try to break our week from becoming a rut by doing activities after work.

Just a couple of days ago, we had a great idea: "Let's go to the movie theatre." Not that much later we were gone. Cocky as we are, we didn't want to go to the theatre at the Verizon Center. Last time we went there it was cold, dirty and the seats weren't very comfortable. So we took the metro all the way to AMC Courthouse Plaza in Arlington, Virginia. It's about a 30-minute commute but the theatre is really cool. The seats are really comfortable and they can be reclined, automatically, in full horizontal mode. Pure heaven.


AMC Courthouse plaza

Best seats ever!


We watched Side Effects, an okay movie (definitely not bad, but not a must-see either). Once the movie ended I learned a life lesson: never go to the last screening of a movie without checking the metro schedule. It was only 11:45 p.m., but the Court House Metro station was already locked down (say what?). 11:45 p.m? Metro all locked down? Yeah, that happened. I still can't figure out why, for crying out loud, there's no metro heading into D.C. after 11:45 p.m.

There we were in the darkness, somewhere in godforsaken Arlington, while owls were hooting and wolves were howling in the background (okay, okay, that might be exaggerated, or completely made up). One of my friends was able to describe the situation perfectly: "We're stuck in Virginia in the middle of the night? That's, seriously, my worst nightmare!" Luckily some buses were still driving. The driver explained us that there was still a way for us to get home. We would have to take a bus, transfer to another bus, take a metro at the Pentagon and we would have to catch either another metro or a cab at Gallery Place-Chinatown, but we would get home... eventually. We had no choice. The adventure was on.

During the bus ride the other passengers were continuously looking at us, as if we were fresh, delicious meat (actually not that surprising, we are fresh, delicious meat... no this is not meant to be taken seriously)! If I didn't know any better I'd think I was part of a vampire or zombie movie. I couldn't be any happier when the bus driver told us we had reached our transferring location. "Cross the street twice, and wait at that bus stop". Stubborn as we are we didn't do that. The sign to Pentagon was standing at the opposite side of where the bus driver told us to stand, so, against all warnings from the bus driver, we crossed the street. Idiots. We were idiots… because there it was, our bus to Pentagon, driving down the opposite side of the street from where we were standing. Foreigners stuck in Arlington, a disaster bound to happen!

Still stuck in the ghettos of Arlington. It was so surreal that it had become a big joke to us. We still wanted to leave as soon as possible though. A cab... we needed a cab. But, apparently people in the ghettos don't use cabs. While we were trying to arrange one, a group of youngsters proposed to give us a ride (well, I am sure they would only have taken my female friends and would have left me behind… moreover, I doubt they would have actually taken them to the RAF, if you get what I mean). By not paying attention to them they left... Another lesson learned: "Are you in the ghettos at night? Then leave in the blink of an eye!" We shouldn't have ended up there in the first place, it was our own fault.

When we finally got a cab another problem arose. We had five people and a cab only fits four. The taxi driver was easily convinced to take us all (one of us practically counts as half a person, easily storable in every corner). And while my hips were pressing against the car door, which I still believe wasn't fully closed, images of me falling from the car in a true James Bond style flashed before my eyes. And while I was re-thinking the perfect life I had (yeah, right), the cab came to a stop at the RAF. We safely made it back home. What a night. What an adventure.

This adventure taught us two new life lessons:
1. Never leave without checking the public transportation's schedule.
2. Never stay too long in a neighborhood that looks sketchy.

On to a new, foolish, adventure!

Experience a Day in the Life of an Intern at The Washington Center

Learn More