Preparing the Future Leaders of Mexico
The Governors Internship Program prepares Mexico’s future leaders to face the complex challenges of the 21st century. The students are competitively selected by each state government.
Participants obtain professional and academic training in areas related to the economic and social development of their state and their communities. The program combines four days at an internship with an additional full day of activities each week. This structure enriches students’ academic knowledge while they gain valuable cultural and social experiences. During the semester participants must develop a project that impacts and improves the well-being of their regions. The project must be able to attract investment or represent a regional product or industry. At the end of the program, these projects are presented to their state governor.
Estados de Mexico: Participating States
Started 10 years ago, today most of Mexico’s state governments have supported the program. Participating states include Coahuila, Sonora, Campeche, Veracruz, Hidalgo, Morelos, Tamaulipas, Yucatán, Jalisco, Michoacán, Campeche, Quintana Roo, Aguascalientes, Guanajuato and Nuevo León. Currently, many of Mexico’s governors provide full funding to students.
Capacitacion Para el Servicio Publico: Training for Public Servants & Young Professionals
Social skills, professionalism, leadership, work ethics, flexibility to adapt to change, accountability, collaboration, creativity and intellectual curiosity are all woven into these categories. Due to the enormous complexity of governments nowadays, political leaders are interested in the knowledge, skills and abilities people bring to the public service, not just their educational or political credentials.
Through the Governors Internship Program, students will:
- Learn to adapt quickly to the changes and respond to changing social demands.
- Understand how a public servant can efficiently and transparently answer to citizens.
- Learn how to build consensus among political opponents.
- Plot a pathway to becoming responsible policymakers.
- Identify ways to advance innovation within the public sector.
- Learn to design and structure a public policy project.
- Learn how to become a results-oriented public servant.
- Understand how to build a public service career based on merits and ethical behavior.