Competitive Government Program
: U.S. Government Internships
Thank you for your interest in the Competitive Government Program. Before you begin an application to this program, please read carefully all of the information about the opportunity, including this resource to help you determine whether it is the right choice for you. As a general note, the Competitive Government Program is not the best or only way to seek an internship with a federal agency. Further, if you attend a TWC-affiliated institution, you are likely to be better off applying for the D.C. General Program (option 1 in the application), through which you will be considered for all opportunities that match your experience and background.
Important Information for Applicants
- Please read all details provided on the Competitive Government Program section of the website for information on this opportunity. This program differs from the Washington, D.C. Internship Program in many ways.
- Internship opportunities through the Competitive Government Program are available during the fall, spring, and summer each year. The number and types of positions open vary by term.
- Given the uncertain nature of placement timelines, applicants may be notified of their status only if they have been offered an interview.
- All supplemental materials should be submitted as soon as possible after applying. You must submit an official transcript to complete your application.
We often have internships* available with the following agencies:
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- U.S. Department of Treasury
- U.S. Census Bureau
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- and others!
*Please note that internships may be regionally based.
The Washington Center facilitates placements for each semester and summer with as much notice as possible, but some applicants may be informed of an internship opportunity near or after previously listed start dates for their term of interest. Applicants are encouraged to inform TWC of changes in their availability for a given term.
If you have questions about applying to the Competitive Government Program that cannot be answered by the website, please feel free to contact Reid May at email@example.com or 202-238-7702.