Join an organization where you can make a difference in the lives of students from across the nation and the world. At The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars (TWC), we see a world where young people from all backgrounds have the opportunity to discover, develop and realize their full potential. TWC is the bridge between higher education and professional careers–leveraging all that Washington D.C. has to offer to provide dynamic, experiential learning opportunities to empower and motivate young people to become engaged global citizens.
The Senior Finance and Grants Accountant, reporting to the Managing Director Finance, will be responsible for maintaining systems, providing service-orientation, and running and analyzing reports which will help guide management’s financial decisions and continually improve the department’s effectiveness and efficiency.
The Senior Finance and Grants Accountant has front-line responsibility for Financial Reporting, Accounts Analysis & G/L Reconciliations, Federal & Private grants accounting & reporting, related general ledger maintenance, audit support and will work collaboratively with Managing Director, Finance. Additionally, this position regularly interacts with multiple departments in both coordinating and information analysis activities.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
- Financial Reporting
- Review, prepare and guide the monthly reconciliation of designated balance sheet accounts income statement accounts to ensure accuracy for financial statement users.
- Take the lead in coordination of month closing process, handling accounting issues and preparing journal entries to complete the monthly close.
- Perform review, analysis, and reconciliation of accounts and cost centers. Ensure the generation of timely and accurate financial statements.
- Support the Managing Director, Finance in ad hoc complex financial reports, accounting statements, reporting and analysis.
- Grant Compliance and Reporting
- Prepare, monthly and periodical financial reports and filings related to Government and Private grants and programs.
- Ensure compliance with donor grant agreements and legal requirements of the program.
- Verify grants activity is properly recorded in TWC's general ledger and further reconcile to the Grant Summary Reports.
- Ensure financial tracking system for analysis of accruals, actual, burn rates, drawdowns and tracking of spending against budgets is current and accurate.
- Serve as the Finance Team lead in coordination/reconciliation with Advancement for private donor requirements, releases of temporarily-restricted gifts, scholarship balances, reporting, etc.
- Prepare budgets for new grant proposals.
- Accounts Maintenance
- Create and maintain documentation on processes and procedures related to account maintenance.
- Ensure proper chart of account maintenance and integration of new accounts into financial reports; create or revise financial reports as needed.
- Other Responsibilities
- Manage and review budget analysis, periodic expenditures, and cost projections. Coordinate with external auditors for financial & grant specific audits and 990 preparation.
- Provide support to team with invoicing during busy season.
Education and Experience
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Minimum 3 years’ combined professional non-profit accounting OR 1-2 year experience in Public Accounting.
- Well-developed Excel skills and curiosity for improving them.
Preferred education or qualifications and experience:
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
- Experience with education or non-profit 501(c) 3 organizations with multiple revenue streams.
- Full cycle grant reporting and administration experience preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics (Great Plains) and/or Management Reports a plus.
Competencies required to perform the job successfully:
- Communication/Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Satisfaction
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Which are critical to the successful performance of the job. These may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with the position:
- Commitment to outcomes, deadlines, and technical excellence.
- Analytical thinker; understands the ripple effect of actions.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
This position can be a springboard for deepening skills for planning, analysis, reporting, and presenting to an organization-wide audience. The on-going coordination with multiple departments provides broad exposure and understanding of how accounting services are more than transactional.
TWC is evolving fairly quickly, yet not chaotically. Starting from a strong foundation, you have the chance to be part of improvements in analysis and reporting.
Equipment Used to Perform the Job
Which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Standard office equipment including a facsimile machine, photocopier, and telephone system.
- Personal Computer, job-related software and printer.
These are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform described essential functions of this job. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
To apply to this position, please do so via our online application form.
This job description no way states or implies that these are the only duties preformed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subjected to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.